Tax Receipts: Frequently Asked Questions

November 23, 2018

As a Registered Charity (Charitable # 11930 6306 RR0001) Humber River Hospital Foundation can issue you an official tax receipt when you make a donation. Your official tax receipt is an acknowledgement of your donation to us, and can reduce the amount of income tax owed by you or your business.

If you have a question that is not answered below, please contact our Finance team, who will be happy to assist you!

Thank you so much for donating to Humber River Hospital Foundation, and for helping us reinvent patient care. We couldn’t do it without you.

What can I receive a tax receipt for?

You’ll receive a tax receipt for any cash, credit, or cheque donations of over $20. Cheques should be made out to Humber River Hospital Foundation.

We also issue tax receipts for gifts in kind and gifts of shares.

Where can I find my tax receipt?

If you made an online donation, your tax receipt will be emailed to you. If you donated in-person, by mail, at our office, or over the phone it will be mailed to you at the address you provided to us. Contact us if you need to request a duplicate copy.

Why didn’t I receive a tax receipt?

These are a few reasons why you may not have received one:

  • If you donated less than $20, you will not receive a tax receipt. We issue tax receipts for all donations over $20. This helps us keep our operating costs low.
  • If you are a monthly donor, you will receive a consolidated tax receipt subsequent to year end.
  • If you purchased something, you may not receive a tax receipt. We do not issue tax receipts for event tickets, silent auction items, or other exchanges where you received something in exchange for money.
  • If you donated online, you will receive a tax receipt by email (not in the mail). Make sure to check your junk folder if your tax receipt is not in your inbox.
  • If we have incorrect contact information (for example, if you recently moved and your address hasn’t been updated in our system), it is possible your tax receipt didn’t make it to you. If you suspect this has happened, please let us know by emailing Amanda:

Amanda Greenland
Database Officer
416-242-1000 ext. 81520